One of the recipes that my husband and I like to make at home is a fresh taco salad. Instead of adding the salad to a big, greasy taco shell bowl, we like to make it low fat. Which unfortunately means ditching the taco shell bowl. (Even though I have been dying to own a Perfect Tortilla maker). This is a great salad to add all of the items in your fridge that are close to expiring. A little hidden benefit. Here is what goes into our homemade taco salad:
2 Trader Joe’s Hearts of Romaine lettuce heads
1 Trader Joe’s Micro Greens
2 green onion stems or 1/4 red onion
1 handful of baby carrots
3 celery stalks
4oz of chopped black olives
1oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
1/2lb of ground turkey
1) In a large skillet, add ground turkey and taco seasoning, stirring occasionally until cooked through.
2) Grab a big salad bowl and add chopped romaine lettuce heads.
3) Top with a big handful of Trader Joe’s Micro Greens.
4) Sprinkle chopped celery, onions, carrots, olives, avocado and jalapenos on top.
5) Once the ground turkey is ready, add to the top of the salad and top with grated cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.
6) Serve salad in individual bowls with Ranch dressing and salsa.
Take good care and be well mamas! Ole!
For more recipes and tips, click on the button below…