This holiday season, I was really excited when my daughter and I were invited to join my husband’s family for an afternoon of baking. I was finally going to learn his family’s famous peanut butter ball recipe (insert giddy grin)! Granted we planned to only spend a few hours together, the afternoon slipped away and I left with a belly full of treats and one tired little lady. It was one great afternoon that I will always remember. These two recipes are easy to make and won’t take up a lot of time. Winning!
Note to your taste buds: the recipes below are addictive treats, you are officially warned!
Saltine Cracker Cookies
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Take 1 sleeve of saltine crackers and place a single layer on cookie sheet.
- In a saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread cover crackers completely.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts (or don’t spread and leave chips whole).
- Cool completely and break into pieces.
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls:
Melt 2 cups butter on low flame or in microwave.
In a large bowl, combine 2 cups peanut butter, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 package powdered sugar and 1 package of raisins. Folding until all of the ingredients are mixed.
Set aside in fridge for 30 minutes to cool.
While dough is cooling, make chocolate mix by taking saucespan and melting 2 packages of chocolate chips and 4T of Crisco over low heat.
Take dough out of fridge and pinch off a small ball of dough and roll into a ball. Ball should be about 1″ around.
With a toothpick dip balls in chocolate mixture or with a spoon, pour chocolate mixture over.
Set on wax paper to cool.
Shopping List (Saltine Cracker Cookies):
- 1 sleeve of Saltine Crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips (semi sweet chocolate or white chocolate)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (walnuts or almonds work too!)
Shopping List (Peanut Butter Balls):
2 cups butter
2 cups peanut butter
1 box powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 – (12 oz.) bags chocolate chips
1 box raisins
Take good care and be well mamas!
More great recipes: