I would not say that I am a lasagna lover. Even though I am part Italian and olive oil and pasta run through my veins, lasagna just has never really appealed to me. Until now.
My mom was recently visiting and brought her stack of recipes that she wanted to try. As we scanned through them, she was really excited about Lemon Chicken Lasagna. As for me, I was interested in some of the other recipes. She insisted on making it. Turns out to be the most delicious lasagna I have ever tasted. So good that my brother and I had it for breakfast the next morning! Definitely put this recipe on your shopping list!
Recipe courtesy of my mom’s recipe binder, specifically Better Homes and Gardens October 2005.
1 16oz jar of roasted garlic Alfredo sauce
1 Tbsp drained capers
6 no boil lasagna noodles
8oz container of ricotta cheese
8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1-1/2 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Shredded chicken from whole roasted chicken leftovers or from package
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly coat a 2-quart square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
3. In a saucepan combine Alfredo sauce and capers. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stir occasionally.
4. Spoon 1/3 cup of sauce mixture into prepared dish.
5. Top with 2 lasagna noodles.
6. In a bowl stir together ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and 1 tsp of lemon peel.
7. Spoon half of the cheese mixture over noodles.
8. Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
9. Top with half the chicken.
10. Spoon the remaining sauce over the chicken layer.
11. Top with 2 more noodles, remaining ricotta mixture and remaining chicken.
12. Add 2 more noodles, remaining sauce, and sprinkle with remaining fontina and Parmesan cheese.
13. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
14. Let stand, covered, on wire rack for 20 minutes before serving.
15. Sprinkle with remaining lemon peel and serve.
16. Hide the leftovers!