For Father’s Day, I decided that I was not just going to make my husband dinner, I was going to make dessert too. I know that does not sound like such a big deal, but to me, baking is something that takes me hours. All of the precise measurements, fluffing and rolling of delicate objects is something I do not do well. I would call myself a cook, but pastry artist or baker, ummmm no. I definitely try really hard. Most of the time I just grab the tube of cookie dough or box of cake mix and call it a day.
I wanted to try one more time and what better reason than for Father’s Day. If anyone is going to tell me that my burnt sweets are delicious, it would be my husband. Poor guy! For his big day, I decided to make Heath Bar brownies. With the below recipe I had baking success for the first time. Not only that but these brownies were plump and chewy. That is a huge win in my book! We both had seconds because they were so delicious!
Heath Bar BrowniesDirections:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan.
- Stir butter and chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Cool to lukewarm.
- Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda in small bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl until thick.
- Add in chocolate mixture, then flour mixture.
- When blended (without lumps), transfer to pan.
- Sprinkle entire 12oz package of Hershey’s Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Baking Bits over the top of the brownie mix (why not?).
- Bake brownies until knife inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 32 minutes.
- Cool in pan.
If you want to make the brownies extra special, top them with whipped cream, raspberries and blueberries. Unreal!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnut pieces (about 4 ounces), toasted, cooled
- 5 1.4-ounce Heath English toffee candy bars, chopped
Be well and take good care mamas!